Search This Blog

29 June 2010

The Otherworldlies by Jennifer Anne Kogler

I haven't read a novel in such long sessions in a long time! I found it hard to put this book down. I didn't have much time this past week to read, so I figured I'd just read a few chapters when I could fit them in, but I'd end up reading like 5 or 6 instead of 2 or 3.



At fist, I was disappointed that the story revolved around vampires. To be honest, I like the Twilight movies, and I do enjoy vampire tales, but I'm tired of the same old recycled stuff. From the book jacket, it hinted that the villain would be a mysterious vampire, so I figured I could handle that. One vampire wouldn't be so bad. But the entire book was filled with them.

On the bright side, the vampire label was just that in this book - a label. It was wrapped around elements of Greek mythology, which turned out to be a delightful spin. In the end of the story, I was actually emotionally involved in the underlying plot - the parent/children, mother/daughter struggle - more so than the vampire 'possible end of the world' plot.

I have some complaints, though. My copy of the book had quite a bit of typos. I was really disappointed by this. The dust jacket was extravagant, the interior of the book even had design markings and beautiful accents, but the body of the story has typos? Also, I spent 10 chapters waiting for a huge battle that really never came. The lead character, Fern, really held her own, she saved her brother and Lindsey Lin, but I wanted a BATTLE! It was more of a one-on-one fight, which I guess is great in its own right, but I've been spoiled by other supernatural stories where the entire population of vampires, werewolves, and witches come together in a huge "Narnian" smackdown.

Eh, maybe next time. This book will be added to the SHOULD read section of my blog. (I'm waiting to see the first book I tell you guys to skip lol) I really enjoyed it.

Next Up: The Night Journey. And I can already tell you, I'm finding this one difficult to put down as well.

Til next time.

JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment